Friday, October 3, 2008

Hand Soap and CDs

I am continually amazed by the memories and emotions that things can evoke. The smell of Crayola crayons consistently transports me to Mrs. Smith's first-grade classroom at Burton Elementary School. Doesn't matter where I am. And it has to be Crayolas. Other crayons just don't have that power.

One of the first things I discovered in my unpacking was three pump bottles of Bath & Body Works Kitchen Lemon AntiBacterial Hand Soap. Instantly, I was back at the bridal shower for Sarah. We were at Tricia's house having a lovely time. The running game during the shower was to: a) avoid speaking the groom's name and b) catch other ladies who did slip up. I was careful (and lucky) enough to win that game, and the prize was the hand soap. I tried to bless Sarah with the soap, but she insisted that I'd won, and should keep my prize.

How very glad I am that I did not give up my prize! Now, whenever I see the soap bottle, or wash my hands in the kitchen, I find myself laughing and talking among loving friends who are - in reality - a thousand miles away.

Later on, in my unpacking, I found a box with a boatload of CDs. Several are my Beegie Adair piano jazz collection, and I have enjoyed them greatly. This morning, however, I found my No Other Name CDs. Sam and Laura are friends from church, and Laura and I have been in a couple of Bible Studies together. As I listened - and worshipped - to their music I was again transported - this time to several places: church, Erin's house for Bible study, even the Tennessee Baptist Convention in Brentwood where the Inglewood Baptist Church choir and No Other Name led in worship. When the little tiny hairs on the back of your neck stand up as you listen to "Washed in the Blood", you know that you are in the Presence - even when you are sweeping floors and unwrapping "stuff".

We have two more months of rainy season. The average rainfall here is somewhere around 140 inches, although last year it was over 180. Every afternoon. Sometimes every morning AND afternoon. Sometimes every morning AND afternoon AND evening. I can sit in the "sun"room and watch the clouds roll down over the mountains. It really is interesting. Wet. But interesting. Sometimes the clouds conceal almost everything except my yard and then it is almost spooky. You cannot see anything but grey mist.

I was awakened early-early this morning by a very near-by woodpecker (or close relative to a woodpecker), and I have worked hard: Washed 2 loads of laundry and hung them out to dry, moved furniture in the living room, gone to David with Bob to do some errands, heated enough water to wash dishes, checked my email, and now posted. I am tired. I am going to read for a little bit and then go to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brandy,
Sounds like maybe waiting until February to visit Boquete might have its advantages. I don't think we would have seen everything we want to see if it rains constantly. Good for knitting .... but not good for sight seeing.
Wow! I just picked up 2 jumbo rolls of heavy duty Aluminum foil at SAM's for way less then $10.
I also wonder what one would do with that much Vanilla.

XOXOX,
Gina