Monday, October 20, 2008

...Well, I've Been Busy

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I'm learning how to work without many of the "conveniences" I was so accustomed to in the US: inexpensive pasta sauce, consistent water pressure, etc. I'm still learning. And things just take longer.

For example, canned condensed soups are scarce and expensive, and I am having to figure out how to adjust many of my recipes. And stuffing mix! I went on line and found a recipe for "home made stuffing mix" over the weekend, and now I have a ZipLock bag with my own stuffing mix stashed away so I can make a chicken casserole.

My next culinary adventure will be creating my own chili powder. It seems that stores here do not carry McCormick chili powder. You have to make it yourself by blending cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and either paprika or "hot chili powder" (which I learned is Habanero peppers) in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. I'll take notes and let you know.

In other news, we have met several nice people at the church we are attending: Bethel Christian Fellowship. This is a congregation of ex-pats, most of whom are retirees, so I am close to being the baby of the group. There are no youth :..(

At any rate, we are going to David today with one of the couples (Bea and Gordon) on a sort of round-robin excursion. Bob and I will start the process of obtaining our Panama driver licenses. And it actually may turn out that I will be the one with an unrestricted license! Apparently Bob may be "too old" to qualify for one.

We are also going to go to the Costco-affiliated American-style store (Pri ce Smart??) in David on a scouting mission. Bea and Gordon are members and have invited us to shop there on their membership today. I may get a membership myself, but I don't know. We're meeting them in an hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you. We wondered what was keeping you away from your blog!!!
Sounds like you are slowly adjusting to a new way of doing things. We have looked into Airfare for early February, and if all goes well we may make it then.
Have fun in David today!!!

XOXO,
Gina