Saturday, September 20, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For

You just might get it.

You would think that I could learn something along the way about trying to do too much (or have too much done) at once. You´d be wrong. We had tile work being done, a reserve water tank being installed, AND the household goods delivered. All at the same time.

I am sore in places where most of you don´t even have places. I am in what nurses call sensory overload. This is a condition in which so much is going on at the same time that one´s body and mind just shut down. Because if one has to process just one more thing, something will blow.

I had breakfast today about 4PM. And I had a scoop of chocolate almond ice cream at about 8:30. I guess that was either lunch or dinner.

But the household goods are (mostly) in the house. There are several boxes and widgets and whatnots by the porch, as well as other boxes and widgets (including a dryer and chest freezer) by the back porch. I am horrified at the number of baking pans I have unpacked thus far. I am even more horrified at the fact that the cabinets in the kitchen are too small to hold my beloved pottery plates - or over half of my iced tea glasses. But my precious butter dish that Tavie hand painted and gave me is safely ensconced in the china cabinet where I can look at it and smile.

I did a lot of singing today. Mostly hymns and praise songs. Some because I was rejoicing because of my circumstances. Some because I was rejoicing in spite of my circumstances. One of the umpteen men working around the house joined me in singing "Amazing Grace", me in English, he in Spanish. And he was quick to give God glory, thanks and praise when things went well.

I have one room almost completely done. The back bedroom has the bed set up and neatly made, a bedside table with lamp and some flowers from the yard, a rocking chair, and my Grandmother Brandon´s trunk. The new knobs are on the wardrobe doors, the floor is swept, and it looks so peaceful and serene. The curtains are not yet up, but they really don´t matter that much. This is our sanctuary - our retreat - our haven to which we can go and see order and calm and - yes, beauty when the other rooms are not orderly nor calm nor beautiful. The bed is a Lillian Russell style that also was my Grandmother Brandon´s, and the lamp is a hand-painted Gone With the Wind lamp converted from oil to electricity. I already love this room.

I am about as tired as a person can be. My insomnia kicked in and I was up at 2AM sweeping and mopping. I managed to tire myself out enough to have a nap at 4:30. But I am about as tired as a person can be. When I get home from the internet cafe I think I will tuck myself into bed and slip into a coma.

1 comment:

CherylBretz said...

Brandy, After you rest, you sould post some photos of the bedroom you you just put together. It sounds beautiful. Also take some of the grounds and out side views.