Thursday, September 18, 2008

Primitive Camping

When I agreed that "camping out" in the house until the household goods arrived would be kinda fun and an adventure, I did not mean primitive camping. Primitive camping is something one does with the Girl Scouts. At a campsite. With tents. For a weekend. Two nights. Tops.

Primitive camping should not be for over two weeks in one´s own home with no hot water, no refrigeration (not even an ice chest), no cooking utensils, and - way too often - no water at all.

If you are ever asked what modern amenety you could least live without, say- without hesitation, "indoor plumbing".

Because no running water means not only no shower (hot or cold), it also means no way to wash dishes, and it means you cannot flush the toilet!!!

Now do you see what I mean?

The days I have been able to shower (three so far, I think), the water has been only tepid and a trickle at best. It is supposed to get better, but I have reservations. Well, maybe I should say that my reservations are related to the fact that it jolly well better get better or Mama ain´t gonna be at all happy.

All things considered, consider yourselves lucky that you are not downwind!

No comments: